Welcome to the Library of the General Society of Mechanics and Tradesmen! As a subscriber you will join thousands of other New Yorkers who have benefited from the Library since 1820.
Click Here to Become a Library Member!
Established in 1820 as the Apprentices' Library, by the 19th century the Library had become the largest free circulating library in New York City. The Library space is host to our 176 year old lecture series, which includes the Labor, Literature and Landmarks, and Artisan Lecture Series.
The Library has more than 100,000 volumes of fiction, non-fiction, trade, and technical-related research materials. The collections represent the importance placed on a broad education and illustrate urban work history. As the second oldest continuously operating library in New York City, the wealth of older books makes the library an excellent research facility. Its archives date back to 1785. The Library has recently begun to automate its catalog, but continues to use the card catalogue and classification system created by the librarian in 1901. The main reading room soars to a height of three stories topped by a magnificent skylight. The faux marble pillars, ironwork, and wooden shelving lend the reading room an ambience that makes it a rare and special place.
Wed 01-01-2014 06:00 PM -
07:00 PMGeneral Society Members Meeting
Thu 01-02-2014 07:00 PM -
10:00 PMNYC Junto
Tue 01-14-2014 06:30 PM -
08:30 PMArtisan Lecture Series: Bernard Maisner, Bernard Maisner Studio, Calligrapher and Stationery Artisan
The General Society is located at: 20 West 44th Street New York, NY 10036 firstname.lastname@example.org 212.840.1840